School Dress Code
Cheatham County School Board Policy 6.310
Students shall dress and groom in a clean, neat and modest manner so as not to distract or interfere with the operation of the school.
More specific guidelines appropriate for each level of school (elementary, middle, junior high and senior high) may be developed. Principals, faculty members and students shall be involved in the development of each appropriate set of guidelines.
When a student is attired in a manner which is likely to cause disruption or interference with the operation of the school, the principal shall take appropriate action, which may include suspension and/or expulsion.
Cheatham Middle School
Students shall observe modesty and appropriateness in clothing and personal appearance. A student is not appropriately dressed if he/she is a disturbing or disruptive influence to the educational environment or presents a safety concern for others. Fashion is constantly changing and some fashion changes may not be appropriate for school. We reserve the right to make changes to the dress code as needed to address these changes to keep disruption to the educational process to a minimum and maintain a safe school. The dress code rules are as follows:
- Hats, caps and sunglasses are not to be worn in the building
- The length for skirts, dresses and shorts must be the length of a horizontal index card from the knee. This includes items worn with leggings; the shirt or skirt must meet dress code length even if leggings are worn underneath.
- Shirts, tops, and blouses with a bare midriff or revealing neckline are not allowed.
- No attire depicting or promoting violence, alcohol, tobacco or drugs.
- No gang related clothing
- No clothes with suggestive, crude, rude, racial, or discriminatory statements are allowed. This also includes wearing clothes displaying the rebel flag.
- Shoes must be worn by all students. House shoes arc not allowed.
- No heavy chains, spikes, or other items that cause a safety concern.
- Jeans must be neat and fit appropriately. No holes or frays are allowed above the knees.
- Sagging pants are not allowed.
- No sleeveless shirts with excessively large or revealing sleeve openings
- Students should not wear outer clothing that resembles loungewear, yoga pants, pajamas or underwear. (There may be exceptions for special days i.e spirit days).
- Students may not mark or draw on themselves or others.
- No tube tops, see through tops, mesh tops, or spaghetti strap shirts allowed. Straps on shirts must be width of a dollar bill. With a sheer outer shirt the under shirt must meet dress code requirements.
- No facial piercings (tongue, eyebrow, or nose piercings) other than ears
- Students may wear light jackets or sweaters at the discretion of the classroom teacher. Excessively long jackets and heavy coats must be kept in the locker
- No unnatural hair colors and only conventional hair colors are allowed.
- Topcoats, backpacks, and purses must be removed once the student enters the school building and stored in the locker. Small canvas type bags for gym clothes are allowed for PE only and should be stored in locker when not in transition to PE.
Consequences: If a violation can be corrected, it will be done so immediately with a warning. If it can not be corrected at school, the student will wait in ISS for appropriate attire to arrive at school. If this does not occur, the student will remain in ISS. Consistent violations of the dress code will result in OSS.
All faculty and staff share the responsibility to enforce the dress code.